First of.. I am pissed off with my Internet connection last night... after uploading photos and writing a long "essay" i couldn't published it.. it kept on saying i had no connectivity!! arghhhhhh... hate it when that happens.. shud hv just listened to hb when he told me to go to bed since it was already past midnight.. blahhhh
Anyway i cant simply remember what i wrote last night.. so i am gonna keep it simple.. Was out and abt with Sonia yesterday since 9am.. err well thats what happens when Rima has the car for the day lol.. took her to a few places.. the early learning center (ELC) was one of them... she loves to just play with the toys there and wont ask me to buy any... the same goes when i took her to ToysRus... she will play but will walk out of the store without any toys.. good girl!
Had planned to take her to Bambini but unfortunately she fell asleep while I was driving there so had to make a u turn and drive back home...and since i knew that hb would be home late cos of some office bowling event.. i decided to keep myself busy and one of them was definitely baking hehehe
Got online.. saw this butter cookies recipe in florence blog and realised that its time i make use of some of my newbies i hv in my pantry (hb had bought me baking stuff as vday gift hahaha) dont u just love the colour of this Mastrad rolling pin??
We love the buttery and crunchy texture of these cookies.. its easy to prepare and it doesnt use a lot of ingredients... just make sure u use quality butter and also use the demerara sugar for topping as it makes a lot of differences then using the normal coarse sugar..
75g butter (I used Golden Churn canned butter)
50g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (lightly beaten)
150g cake flour (remove 1 tbsp)
pinch of baking powder
1 tbsp skim milk powder
1 egg white
Dry Demerara sugar for sprinkling
1. Cream butter, sugar and salt with electric beater till pale and fluffy.
2. Add in egg yolk and beat till well incorporated.
3. Sieve in the flour and baking powder, add in the milk powder, use the lowest speed of your electric beater to combine. Mixture will be bread-crumbs like and will form a dough easily.
4. Put dough into a plastic bag and roll it into a flat sheet as in Photo 5. Chill in the fridge till harden before cutting out the cookie.
5. Cut out cookie with cutter. Brush on some egg white and sprinkle dry demerara sugar on the surface.
6. Bake on a lined tray at 180C for 10 minutes in the middle rack and shift to the upper rack and bake a further 2 - 3 minutes to get the golden brown color. (i baked mine at 170C for 8mins)
Notes fm Florence
1. The sprinkling of the dry demerara sugar is optional. If you omit this step, please increase sugar to 60g.
2. Please really only use a pinch of baking powder as you don't want the cookie to be out of shape when it is baking in the oven.
3. Chill the dough again if it is too soft to be cut out.